"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." ~C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The story of the time I watched the sun set over the Indian Ocean


As many of you know, a couple weeks ago, on the 10th of October, was my 24th birthday. The 11th happened to be my host brother’s second birthday, so we decided to celebrate both our birthdays on Saturday. They asked if I would like to make some Canadian food and make a Canadian cake on Saturday. I thought we were just having a small celebration with the 5-6 of us. However, Saturday morning arrived, and there were several chickens in the sink, and an entire bag of potatoes being peeled. I made my brownies, but then my host mother made two more cakes as well. People kept arriving, helping to prepare food. We were at it from 7 AM until 6PM. Most of that time I was just sitting there watching, but I probably spent at least 1 ½ hours throughout the morning peeling tiny cloves of garlic. By the time we ate, there were 30-40 people in the small apartment. The table was loaded with 4 different kinds of meat, homemade samosas, French fries, my spaghetti, rice and beans, salads, and, of course, cake. I was starving by the time we ate, having skipped lunch. There was a lot of people, a lot of noise, a lot of dancing, a lot of conversation I didn’t understand. I was ready for bed by the time people started leaving at 8:30!

The party was fun, but my actual birthday was not all that exciting. I spent the entire morning in the immigration office with a couple of the MCC staff trying to sort out the visa and residency process. Apparently I was mistakenly given a business visa instead of a residential one when I applied from Canada. To fix this problem, I’ll have to go across the border into Zimbabwe next week, re-apply for a visa, and then re-start the immigration process. We are not sure yet how this might affect when I get to go out to Machanga.  The pastor who took me to the immigration office commented that it is a birthday I’ll be sure to remember!

Despite the frustrations of the Thursday, I did, however, have a very nice evening on Friday. Jana, the MCC Mozambique country rep, took me to a cafĂ© that sits on the beach. We sat there and watched the sun set over the ocean and had a really nice evening just chatting and getting to know one another. 

And so ended my second week in Mozambique; the sound of the waves and the smell of the sea carrying me forward as I look ahead to the next three years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment