"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." ~C.S. Lewis

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Christmas Story


Inspired by my grandmother and others who still manage to send out a Christmas letter every year before Christmas, I have decided to spend a short while reflecting on this past year in the form of a Christmas blog. Yesterday, in the Christmas sprit, my friend Stephanie and I spent the afternoon baking three kinds of Christmas cookies. In the evening, we drank hot chocolate and ate popcorn while watching my favourite Christmas movie of all time: White Christmas.  In one of the songs in the movie, Bing Crosby’s soothing voice tells us to count our blessings. I decided to do just that, by reading back through my journal from the past year. To give you a snapshot, here are some excerpts from my journal on the 25th of each month:

March 25th, 2013-  [living in a rural village in Cambodia doing MCC SALT program] Taught English to a group of monks and kids at a Wat Chiphoch [Buddhist temple]. Today we learned the parts of the body.
 In March, I was half way through my 1-year SALT term (MCC’s Serving and Learning Together program). Living in rural Cambodia had its challenges, but was an immensely rewarding experience. In March had I had recently accepted a position with MCC in Mozambique to start in September, a month after I returned home from Cambodia. Even though I knew I’d only be in Cambodia for a short while longer, I never regretted for one moment the time and energy I put into getting involved in the community; not an easy task for someone of my nature. Teaching English at the Wat was always rather spontaneous and unorganized, but always fun time.

April 25th, 2013- Fish and rice, fish and rice. Just in case I ever complain about other food and forget what it was like to eat fish and rice [three times] every day.
 Months after I wrote this, when I was home in Canada with all of the comfort food I so longed for all year, I found to my surprise that I missed rice. 

May 25th, 2013- If you make tacos without cheese, sour cream, salsa, or lettuce, are they still tacos? Went to the market, got a flat tire, fixed the flat, hand-washed my laundry, and it is only 10 in the morning! (and did I mention I also slept in?!)
 Ah, making tacos with my host family in Cambodia. I managed to find taco seasoning and taco shells in one of the more western supermarkets in the big city, but couldn’t carry (or keep) the necessary produce.  My host family certainly didn’t know any different, and though they didn’t taste the same, they were still good!  Last year I also came to enjoy waking up early- 6AM was sleeping in. 6:30 was REALLY sleeping in! I could get so much done in the cool of the morning and enjoyed the quiet for reading my bible and journaling.

June 25th, 2013- Went along for a sustainable agriculture training session with my Cambodian co-workers. I am finally able to talk with the farmers and answer all of the introductory questions they ask. Sad to be leaving Cambodia so soon.
 I learned to much in Cambodia about agriculture, farmer’s lives, the economics of conservation agriculture, the politics and social issues surrounding the same, farmer’s cooperatives, and how to know when is a good time to share and when is a good time to learn. People often ask what I studied at university. I learned more of real importance, applicability, and value in my one year in Cambodia than I would have in a lifetime in the library. It was a lot of work learning the Khmer language, but such a joy when I finally mastered some basic conversation. Whenever I met people for the first time, they always asked me “where are you from? How old are you? Are you married? I love your nose.”
My farewell party with the ODOV staff in Cambodia
 July 25th, 2013- [on my way home from Cambodia, stopped in Akron Pennsylvania at the retreat centre for orientation prior to going to Mozambique] Went to the MCC material resources centre in Akron and found an old 1930’s edition Bird of North America written by the legendary Thomas Nuttall. Unbelievably happy!
 Birds, birds, birds. If you know me at all, you know I love birding. What a blessing to be able to experience the beauty of God’s creation this year- from the rice paddies of Prey Veng, to the lush forests of Northern Cambodia, from Canada’s beautiful bay of Fundy to Victoria Falls in Zambia, from Kruger National Park in South Africa, to the Mozambican bush. I’d never thought I’d get to experience so much, nor see so many different birds!

August 25th, 2013- [Back in Canada for 1 month homeleave] Left bright and early to start off for Ontario, bringing my sister Janet to the university of Waterloo. Learning to drive standard along the way!
 It was so refreshing to be home again for a couple of months. To be sure, I experienced some reverse culture shock (not to mention the shock of the cold August night air). But I was very happy to be home. Before Janet went to university, we had a lovely month of camping, visiting the grandparents and friends, and eating LOTS of food with cheese. A highlight was when the 6 of us went on a 4 day backpacking trip around Cape Chignecto in Nova Scotia- a time to remember!
The Standens in Fundy National Park. Photo credit: Rebekah Hudson.
September 25th, 2013- [in Zambia for Farming God’s Way training before going to Mozambique] Learned compost making and more about Farming God’s Way in Livuyu village just outside of Livingstone, Zambia. What a beautiful people here!
 Back on into the world of the unknown, of change. A world where adaptability is key. A world where it seems everyone else but you knows what’s going on (likely because this is true). My confidence is firmly placed in God alone.

October 25th, 2013- [in Mozambique] I have a Portuguese Bible now! I have started slowly reading some of the parables and the book of Romans.
 I am now coming along quite well in Portuguese. I would be even better if I talked more… but some things don’t change.

November 25, 2013- Kids morning at church today in Beira, Mozambique. 4 hours long. 4 and a half for those who didn’t arrive late as we did. Made a delicious lentil curry with host sister Zuleca for supper while my host parents were out.
Starting to feel much at home with my host family. They are such warm-hearted and loving people!
Making pizza with my host family in Beira, Mozambique.
Back in Canada, I am used to measuring the passage of time by the coming and going of the sun and the seasons, of snow and showers, of school and summer holidays. I have to keep reminding myself that, despite the lack of these it is still very much the end of December, and Christmas is tomorrow. No, this past year has not been easy; He never said it would be. But oh, it has been good. I fall asleep tonight counting my blessings, knowing that will morning will come long before I can ever recount all the wonderful things God has done. 

Wishing you all a very blessed Christmas!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment