"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." ~C.S. Lewis

Thursday, December 5, 2013

The story of why I stopped telling stories (...and then started again)


Before I get to the bit that explains the title of this post, I do have a couple of stories to share. They were written a few weeks ago, but I never got around to posting them for reasons I’ll share at the end of this post…

Last week was full of excitement at MCC. In our tiny office, we hosted partner meetings attended by 25 people from the region who work with MCC. Being new to MCC and not yet fluent in Portuguese, I was given the option of helping out in the kitchen instead of attending the meetings, which I gladly accepted. Aziza, our cook/housekeeper, was in charge of cooking for 25 people for three days, and did a marvelous job of it! The food was delicious, plentiful, and on time every day! Stephanie (MCC SALT volunteer) and I did whatever Aziza asked of us to help prepare. I cut so many vegetables on Wednesday that I got a blister on my finger! I washed countless plates and cups. I peeled several cups of garlic cloves. My hands smelt like garlic for days afterwards. And for the first time since arriving, I felt helpful, useful, and like I sort of knew what was going on. It was oh so satisfying to be the one standing in the hallway with a towel and a basin in my arms, pouring water so the guests could wash their hands.

Things are ever eventful and exciting in the Madeira household, where I am having my homestay. I went with pastor Madeira, his wife, and Stephanie to visit the church in Mafambisse, a small town not far from Beira. While there, I was greeted by every single member of the church, and consequentially, was kissed on the cheek some 200 times. We’ve started having evening prayer time with everyone in the family at home. The only problem is that sometimes these Bible study times don’t start until 9:30 or 10 at night, by which time my brain has long since shut off. I try my best to be focused and pay attention, but after a whole day of not understanding most of what goes on around me, I eventually hit a wall. One thing I really do enjoy though is the singing that starts off every prayer time. Not that I am particularly good at singing, and I am only beginning to learn the song, but Pastor Madeira is determined to make the 6 of us sing in 4 part harmony. This causes no end of hilarity and laughter because we always fail terribly. The 4-year-old girl can sort of follow the tune; the 11-year-old boy is practicing the bass lines because he likes those best, but obviously doesn’t have the voice for it yet; the teenage boy is still trying to figure out what octave he belongs in; and I am doing my best just to stumble along with the words. None of this lets pastor Madeira down. Sometimes we are made to repeat a song until we get it right (or at least closer to right).

I mentioned to Pastor Madeira last week that I wanted to help out a bit more with chores around the house, but explained that being new, it is hard to know what to do, or how to jump in and help out. Ever the proactive planner, he devised a new dish-washing rotation that has me doing the dinner dishes the following morning every day. It’s nice to be able to help out with something, and I am always up plenty early in the mornings anyway. When my host brother came in the kitchen the other day and saw me finishing the dishes and setting out breakfast, that was the first time he addressed me Mana (sister) Rebecca. I guess I am part of the family now.    

This week I am heading off to Maputo to attend the wedding of a fellow MCCer who is marrying a Mozambican. That is on Saturday. Sunday, I am traveling with another MCC couple and their 5 year old son to Kruger National Park. I’ll be camping there for three days, spending two days in Nelspruit, South Africa, taking a bus to Maputo, and then flying back to Beira on December 14th. I am looking forward to the vacation. It will be short, but sweet. And, for those of anxiously wondering, I did get my visa process sorted out! Praise God! Still waiting for the final residence paperwork to come through, but there is no time pressure now.

Some of you may have been wondering at my long absence from the blog world, facebook, and my general lack of communication over the month. There is a reason for this. Not necessarily a good one, but a reason. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, the political situation in Mozambique has been tense the past couple of months. There have been attacks on the highways and people are accusing the government of fraud and corruption surrounding recent municipal elections. People have been waiting for leaders of FRELIMO (currently in power) and RENAMO (opposing side in the 16 year civil war that ended in the early 90’s) to meet and begin dialogue to ease the tensions.  Because of this, though I am safe in the city, it has not been possible for me to get out to Machanga, where I am to start teaching next year. The location of the attacks on vehicles on the highway happens to be at the turnoff to the road that eventually leads to Machanga. I admit it has been a bit discouraging not knowing what way the situation would go.  Being in a constant state of uncertainty made it hard to communicate with people at home what my plans are, as they are constantly changing. I was hoping that after a couple weeks it would all blow over and our nice plan would fall smoothly into place. But I have to accept that the Mozambique is going through a significant time, and learn to adapt accordingly; to take joy in the experiences I am having now, the friendships that are growing, and the lessons I am learning. I have so many stories to tell now. I don’t need to wait until I get to Machanga to start telling them.

More to come soon.

Yours truly,

Rebecca

PS photos from the past two months to come soon! I am in the process from trying to get them from a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment